Biocote-treated surfaces kill potentially-deadly bacteria
Experts at the University of Warwick have produced microscopic footage of the potentially-deadly E. coli bacteria being wiped out in just two hours on an antimicrobial-treated ‘intelligent’ surface.
Dr Antonia Sagona created revealing time-lapse imaging featuring fluorescently-labelled bacteria to bring to life the effects of silver-treated surfaces compared to non-protected surfaces.
The data was obtained at optimal bacterial growth temperature and the first bit of footage (above left) shows what happens when bacteria are loaded onto an untreated surface – they thrive. The second bit of footage (above right) shows what happens when it’s loaded onto a BioCote-treated surface – they die, and quickly.
Simply put, a whole host of nasty microbes cannot survive on BioCote treated surfaces, which is scientifically proven to destroy up to 99.99% of harmful bacteria. This includes superbugs like the flesh-eating MRSA that can result from surgical wound complications; Campylobacter, which is potentially fatal and the most-common cause of food poisoning in the UK; and Salmonella which can cause severe, sometimes-deadly, infections like septicaemia and pneumonia.
Technically speaking, exposure to BioCote-treated materials renders them all non-infectious through protein damage, membrane disruption and DNA interference – and it takes just two hours.
What’s more, these ‘invisible’ silver ion additives are simply integrated into everyday products at the time of manufacture. They’re environmentally and ecologically acceptable and can be cost effectively added to plastics, paints, textiles, ceramics, paper, board and many other work place and household materials. Because it does not wear out or wipe off surfaces, it also provides a continuous and lifelong decontamination effect.
Click here to see the video.