Finchley Cottage Hospital opened with 18 beds in 1908 and was renamed the Finchley Memorial Hospital in 1922...
Finchley Cottage Hospital opened with 18 beds in 1908 and was renamed the Finchley Memorial Hospital in 1922. The original hospital was paid for out of subscriptions and the later extensions raised to form a memorial for the Finchley dead of World War 1. It then saw a reform with the NHS in 1948 and then in 2008 it was completely re-developed to create the current NHS hospital.
Finchley Memorial Hospital has undergone a £28 million redevelopment project, a collaboration and engagement between NHS North Central London Barnet, our provider organisations, patients and the public, staff and community groups, including the Friends of Finchley Memorial Hospital.
BHC Furniture won this large PFI project for its ability to integrate and communicate seamlessly with the project team and end users to provide furniture solutions fit for purpose within budget.
Finchley Memorial required a mix of normal and clinical furniture. The clinical furniture being patient seating and bedside lockers, for which we worked closely with Teal our preferred partner for clinical furniture.
Again, BHC sees more and more emphasis on the patient waiting areas for style and comfort. Design is steadily going away from the familiar style of a Hospital reception and in Finchley there was no exception. Here, BHC used Isis Beam for the main beam seat, sturdy construction with a beach shell, chrome feet and padded seat, ideal for infection control cleaning with smooth lines and aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
The use of different vinyl colours allowed BHC to segregate types of wait area within the core open space. The finishing touch and core design note was the use of Lola, single seat and two seat sofas’s an exceptional product of high quality and comfort – certainly not a typical hospital seat! BHC is delighted that it has played a role in bringing this historical and important hospital up to modern day requirements.